- Santa Clara Unified School District
Welcome Back to the 2021-2022 School Year
August 6, 2021
Dear SCUSD Families,
Welcome to the start of the 2021-2022 school year! We are thrilled to welcome all students back to our campuses for in-person instruction on Thursday, August 12.
In order to maintain in-person learning, we must stay vigilant to keep COVID-19 variants at bay. In SCUSD, safety is our number one priority. It is our priority to strike a balance between implementing mitigation strategies and ensuring students enjoy their school experience.
Our team has been working throughout the summer to prepare for the start of the school year, while awaiting the California Public Health Department (CDPH) guidance for schools, which was released on July 12th. These state updates are continuing to be revised in the weeks since the publication in mid-July. We believe that the public health guidelines listed below for schools have mostly settled.
- All students and staff are required to wear masks while indoors. Masks may be removed when eating indoors. Please be sure to send your student with a mask.
- Masks are not required and are optional for students and staff when outdoors.
- Staff working alone in their own offices may remove their masks.
- There are no distancing requirements for classrooms or schools.
- Physical distancing will be implemented to the greatest extent possible.
- Barriers and desk shields are not required but are available upon request.
- Self-screening at home for COVID-19 symptoms each day will continue.
- Do not send your child to school if they are sick.
- Report any exposures to positive COVID-19 cases for your child or if your child has received a positive COVID-19 test. Once notified, school and district staff will walk you through any isolation or quarantine requirements.
In advance, thank you for helping to maintain a safe school environment by encouraging your student to be diligent in implementing these safety measures. Listed below are other safety measures that continue to implement across our campuses and worksites:
Other Safety Strategies
- We will continue to routinely replace MERV-13 air filters in all HVAC systems.
- We will continue to teach and emphasize frequent and proper handwashing as well as provide hand sanitizer.
- We will continue to have students eat outside as much as possible.
- We will continue to regularly clean frequently touched surfaces.
- We will continue to offer routine asymptomatic COVID-19 screening for staff.
For more detailed information, please refer to our COVID-19 Health and Safety Plan. These plans are flexible, adjusting to the changing guidelines from our public health officials. We will communicate additional recommendations as they are released.
The Santa Clara County vaccination rates for individuals 12 and older are impressive. Yet, in order to slow and stop the spread of COVID-19, we encourage everyone who is able, to get vaccinated. By working together we can ensure a safe and healthy environment for everyone.
Santa Clara Unified supports students to be resilient, future-ready, lifelong learners who think critically, solve problems collaboratively, and are prepared to thrive in a global society. This call to action has never been more important than now. This year, as we launch Vision 2035, our new strategic plan, and return from last year’s distance learning, we have been deliberate in our planning. We will include opportunities for our educational community to reconnect, renew, and reimagine teaching and learning as we focus on advancing high-quality educational programming and social connections.
As always, safety, academic achievement, and social-emotional wellness are our highest priorities, and we look forward to working together to create the best environment possible. We will continue to connect and collaborate with all of our stakeholders as we move through this next chapter. Please stay connected by reading our District Updates for districtwide news and information, and providing suggestions and feedback as we navigate what’s ahead.
Each principal will be sending out communication about the school’s schedules and other site-specific information that you will need for the start of school.
Showcase Your Spirit
We will be watching our district hashtags #SCUSDproud and #SCUSDfirstday. We encourage your family to use the hashtags for your back-to-school posts so we can celebrate the start of the school year together!
Stella M. Kemp, Ed.D.