- Santa Clara Unified School District
Survey on our Expanded Learning Opportunities Grant
April 30, 2021
Dear SCUSD staff and families,
Santa Clara Unified is seeking your input on a state grant that we recently received, called the Expanded Learning Opportunities (ELO) Grant. We are eligible because we are implementing a learning recovery program that, at a minimum, provides supplemental instruction, support for social and emotional well-being, and, according to the guidelines of the United States Department of Agriculture, meals, and snacks.
There are seven strategies that can be supported with these funds. Implementation must fall under one of these seven areas, and districts are not required to use them all.
The seven supplemental instruction and support strategies are:
- Extending instructional learning time in addition to what is required for the school year by increasing the number of instructional days or minutes provided during the school year, providing summer school or intersessional instructional programs, or taking any other action that increases the amount of instructional time or services provided to students based on their learning needs.
- Accelerating progress to close learning gaps through the implementation, expansion, or enhancement of learning supports including, but not limited to, any of the following:
- Tutoring or other one-on-one or small group learning supports provided by certificated or classified staff.
- Learning recovery programs and materials designed to accelerate student academic proficiency or English language proficiency, or both.
- Educator training, for both certificated and classified staff, in accelerated learning strategies and effectively addressing learning gaps, including training in facilitating quality and engaging learning opportunities for all students.
- Integrated student supports to address other barriers to learning, such as the provision of health, counseling, or mental health services, access to school meal programs, before and after school programs, or programs to address student trauma and social-emotional learning, or referrals for support for family or student needs.
- Community learning hubs that provide students with access to technology, high-speed internet, and other academic supports.
- Supports for credit deficient students to complete graduation or grade promotion requirements and to increase or improve students’ college eligibility.
- Additional academic services for students, such as diagnostic, progress monitoring, and benchmark assessments of student learning.
- Training for school staff on strategies, including trauma-informed practices, to engage students and families in addressing students’ social-emotional health needs and academic needs.
The district is eligible to receive approximately $9,700,000 of which approximately $960,000 must be used for paraeducators. These funds are ONE TIME ONLY, and can only be expended on items and actions beginning May 2020 through August 2021.
Please fill out this survey to provide your input on possible supplemental and support strategies that can be funded through this grant. The survey information will be used to inform the writing of the district's Expanded Learning Opportunities Grant as well as the closely related Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP).
Please complete the survey by Monday, May 10, 2021, at 5 p.m.
Thank you for your time and input,
Santa Clara Unified School District