Distance Learning Website and Family Guide
March 21, 2020
Dear Santa Clara Unified Families,
Let me begin by telling you just how much we miss our students. Although virtual, our teachers cannot wait to see them all next week!
This new coronavirus has forced the world to embrace a new reality. Here at home, we have been working diligently on our distance learning plans so that we are ready to support your children for however long the shelter-in-place order lasts. I want you to know, we are ready for next week.
Our Distance Learning website goes live this weekend and I ask you to begin reviewing and preparing with your child. On the website, you will find a helpful, printable version of the website content called “Family Guide to Distance Learning” with learning schedules by grade level, communication information, frequently asked questions (FAQs), and additional resources.
To prepare for the first day of distance learning, we are holding Chromebook pick up days for your families. If you have devices at home that your children can use, you do not need to come pick up a Chromebook. I know that due to the Governor’s “shelter-in-place” order, many of you are concerned about coming to our middle school and high school Chromebook pick up scheduled for Monday, March 23 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Let me assure you that there is nothing to be worried about, as picking up your child’s educational material is an essential function. Additionally, in order to ensure that everyone is safe during the Chromebook pick up, we have developed a system for you to stay in your vehicle in order to comply with social-distancing guidelines.
I know these are difficult times in our community, and throughout the world. As difficult as they are, I am comforted by just how much our community has pulled together in a very short amount of time.
Although we do not know how long we are going to be sheltered-in-place, know that you are not alone. Santa Clara Unified School District will be here to support you every step of the way. From providing free meals, to making our teachers and staff available virtually, we continue focused on our mission of preparing our students for their futures.
Important Dates this Week
Chromebook Pick Up
- Middle and high schools — Monday, March 23, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Elementary schools — Details will be communicated by school principals by Wednesday, March 25
Free Meal Service
- Monday, March 23, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. — One week’s supply of free breakfast and lunch for students 18 years old and under at Buchser, Cabrillo, Callejon, Mayne, Montague, Peterson, and Wilcox schools
- Thursday, March 26 — The City of Santa Clara is organizing free weekend meal service. More information will be available and communicated out by Wednesday, March 25
First Day of Distance Learning
- Middle and high schools — Tuesday, March 24
- Elementary schools — Monday, March 30
As more information is made available, you have my commitment that I will share it with you.
Please stay safe,
Stella M. Kemp, Ed.D.