Principal Announced for the New Middle School at Agnews
Dawnel Sonntag first came to SCUSD in 1998 as an English teacher at Santa Clara High School where she stayed for 7 years before being promoted as the vice principal at Cabrillo Middle School in 2005. She remained in that position until 2008.
In 2008, Dawnel left our district to take a position as the Principal of Monroe Middle School in Campbell Union School District. She spent 10 years as the principal of Monroe Middle School before becoming the principal liaison for special education for the last year.
Dawnel received her Bachelor of Arts from the University of California at Santa Barbara in Sociology, her teaching credential from National University and her Masters in Educational Leadership from San Jose State University.
Some of Dawnel’s responsibilities and accomplishments during the past year are listed below:
- Analyze special education academic program across multiple sites, preK-8, including evaluation of instructional strategies and the special education referral process.
- Collaborate in the coordination of curriculum, instructional programs, assessment, and professional development.
- Assist with the interviewing, hiring, and assigning of certificated and classified staff; formally evaluate certificated and classified staff.
- Work with the instructional services team to create and deliver professional development to support instructional effectiveness and student support services.
- Work with the director of special education and the coordinator for English language development to create a protocol for student study teams to use when considering special education
- referrals for English learners.
- Redesigned the site budget in response to Local Control Funding Formula (LCFF) and mentored other site principals on implementation, led site in implementation of Common Core State
- Standards (CCSS) and California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP).
Congratulations, Dawnel, and welcome back to SCUSD!