Update to provide Input about the New “By-Trustee” Area Voting
October 5, 2021
Dear Santa Clara Unified School District Community,
We are providing an update about the district’s transition to a new election system to select the members of the Board of Trustees. We would like to extend an invitation to our community to participate in this initiative and welcome your input at public hearings and community meetings in the coming weeks.
The current election system in place is called “At-Large” and allows every resident within the district’s boundaries to vote to elect all trustees. The new election system, known as “By-Trustee” Area Voting, will divide the district into trustee areas, and one governing board member will be elected by registered voters in that particular trustee area.
The intent of this proposed election system is to offer greater opportunities for board representation of candidates that may not otherwise be elected under the current election system, while adhering to the California Voting Rights Act.
SCUSD values and promotes feedback from our school community. We encourage participation in upcoming public hearings and community meetings. These events are meaningful opportunities to let our community’s voices be heard. Please take note of the following dates:
- October 28, 2021 at 7:15 p.m.*
- November 18, 2021 at 7:15 p.m.*
- December 9, 2021 at 7:15 p.m.**
- October 20, 2021 at 6 p.m. Location: Dolores Huerta Middle School
- November 8, 2021 at 6 p.m. Location: Peterson Middle School
- November 15, 2021 at 6 p.m. Location: Cabrillo Middle School
- November 17, 2021 at 4 p.m. Virtual Meeting at www.santaclarausd.org/board/webinar
- November 30, 2021 at 6 p.m. Location: Buchser Middle School
*Location to be determined
** The Board of Trustees vote on “by-trustee area” boundaries will immediately follow the third post-map release public hearing on December 9, 2021.
More details about these meetings can be found at the Santa Clara Unified School District website at www.santaclarausd.org/CVRA.
We greatly appreciate your participation in this important process.
Dr. Stella M. Kemp