- Dolores Huerta Middle School
- Department Homepage
On August 7, families, students, staff, community members, and local dignitaries gathered at Dolores Huerta Middle School for a ribbon cutting ceremony to mark the opening of our new schools.
The middle school was named after Dolores Huerta who, at 91 years old, continues to be an inspiration to generations of community organizers and tirelessly fight for the rights of the working poor, children, education, women, and other important social issues. SCUSD is honored that Dolores Huerta attended the event as the keynote and spoke to the attendees about the importance of youth action and equity in education.
“Who are the most important individuals in our society?” asked Dolores Huerta. “We have to say our children are the most important individuals in our society.” She went on to say, “We’ve got to make sure education is number one.”
In addition to Dolores Huerta, speakers at the event included:
- Dr. Stella M. Kemp, Superintendent
- Jodi Muirhead, Board President
- Jim Canova, Board Member
- Shehnaz Wadhwania, Founding Elementary School Principal
- Dawnel Sonntag, Founding Middle School Principal
- Tom Pyke, Congressman Ro Khanna Representative
- Senator Bob Wieckowski
- Former Assemblymember Kansen Chu
- Mayor Sam Liccardo, San Jose
- Mayor Lisa Gillmor, Santa Clara
- Anurag Pal, Representative for Assemblymember Alex Lee
Congressman Ro Khanna was unable to attend the event but joined the founding principals and Bond department staff members for a tour of the school sites on August 9. You can view the photos from his visit on Flickr
Check out the full video of the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony here and photos from the event on Flickr. Dolores Huerta was also gracious enough to record a special message dedicated to the incoming Dolores Huerta Middle School students for their first day!