The Professional Learning and Educational Services Departments are committed to providing focused, effective, and research-based professional learning opportunities to all administrators, teachers and classified staff to prepare and empower adults with the instructional and leadership skills to engage in intellectually rich, developmentally appropriate learning experiences that foster high levels of English proficiency.
We ensure district wide high quality Academic Language Development workshops by:
- Organizing adults into learning communities/collaborative teams whose goals are to increase the language proficiency and accelerate the academic achievement of English Learners.
- Preparing educators effectively to address the needs of English learners by deepening their knowledge of essential research-based practices
- Supporting educators to understand and value English Learners (and other students with particular needs) by strengthening knowledge of cultural backgrounds while maintaining high expectations
- Providing resources to support adult learning and collaboration around the social and academic needs of English Learners
- Using student data to determine student learning priorities, monitor progress, and sustain continuous improvement.
- Assisting teachers in preparing English Learners to meet the rigorous demands of standards for college and career readiness.
- Providing educators with the knowledge and skills to engage families and other stakeholders in the academic achievement of our English Learners