In alignment with the district's mission and vision, the purpose of this committee is to work collaboratively in order to meet the needs of our LGBTQQIA+ community through this committee’s efforts as well as its work in conjunction with the Superintendent’s Committee on School Climate and Culture (SCSCC). This committee is specially tasked to address, among other issues, the following goals:
- Review, develop, and recommend policies and regulations to the superintendent on identified LGBTQQIA+ issues, which are responsive to LGBTQQIA+ concerns and needs, inform decision-making, improve school climate and culture for LGBTQQIA+ students, protect student physical and social/emotional safety, and promote equity and access for all students.
- Identify, prioritize, and develop recommendations and action plans to address physical, mental/emotional, and social barriers affecting students who identify as LGBTQQIA+ in the school environment including, but not limited to, all-gender bathrooms and locker rooms; using correct pronouns and names; anti-LGBTQQIA+ bullying and harassment education, policies and enforcement;
- Regularly provide relevant information to the SCSCC to inform its work on school climate and culture to ensure that its work incorporates LGBTQQIA+ priorities.
Membership is open to all interested members of the SCUSD community (current students, staff, administrators, parents/guardians/caregivers).
Members are asked to:
- Participate in meeting discussions by sharing ideas, expertise, and experiences
- Commit to continuous learning, reflection, and leadership development
- Serve as ambassadors with respective constituencies and the broader community
- Review reports, documents, and other materials to help ensure alignment with SCUSD’s mission, vision, and equity priorities
- Collaborate with staff liaisons to inform them of the committee’s work
- Follow established SCUSD board policies
Lise K. Strom
Title IX/Uniform Complaint Procedures Coordinator