Students who turn 5 years old between September 2, 2022 and February 2, 2023 may enroll in transitional kindergarten (TK). TK is an optional, no-cost opportunity for students to build skills they will need for kindergarten through hands-on, interactive learning.
SCUSD’s TK program is focused on:
- Engaging age appropriate curriculum that encourages physical, emotional, social, and academic development
- Promoting healthy development and future success
- Creating a sense of community
We offer TK programs at various sites throughout the district. Students will be placed at one of the TK sites based on availability. Registration in the TK program is optional and transportation is not provided.
2022-2023 TK Schedule
- Thursday, August 11
- 8:15 am to 9:55 am
- Friday, August 12- September 2
- 8:15 am to 11:51 am
- Beginning on September 6
- 8:15 am to 1:30 pm (M, T, TH, F)
- 8:15 am to 1:05 pm (W and Minimum Days)
Agnew, Braly, Briarwood, Haman, Laurelwood, Montague, Pomeroy, Scott Lane, Sutter, Westwood
TK and Kindergarten Enrollment by Birthdate
For the 2022-23 school year, if your child will be:
- 3, on or before, December 2, 2022, apply for Preschool
- 4, on or before, December 2, 2022, apply for Preschool
- 5, between, September 2, 2022 and February 2, 2023, apply for Transitional Kindergarten
- 5, on or before, September 1, 2022, apply for Kindergarten
- 6, on or before, September 1, 2022, apply for First Grade
Visit our Enrollment webpages for more information.
TK Expansion for Following Years
- Starting with the 2022-23 school year, all school districts in California, including SCUSD, will be required by state law to expand their Transitional Kindergarten (TK) classrooms until all 4 year olds are eligible for TK by 2025-26.
- 2021-22 school year, current TK eligibility, student turns 5 between 9/2-12/1
- 2022-23 school year, TK eligibility, student turns 5 between 9/2-2/2
- 2023-24 school year, TK eligibility, student turns 5 between 9/2-4/2
- 2024-25 school year, TK eligibility, student turns 5 between 9/2-6/2
- 2025-26 school year, TK eligibility, student turns 5 between 9/2-9/1
TK Frequently Asked Questions
How do I enroll my child in TK?
- TK students are enrolled through our SCUSD Enrollment Center. Visit our enrollment page to learn more.
Can I apply for Open Enrollment?
- Open Enrollment does not apply to Transitional Kindergarten students, as the SCUSD Open Enrollment policy applies to K-12 students only.
Will transitional kindergarten be free or will I have to qualify based on income?
- Since transitional kindergarten is part of the public education system, transitional kindergarten is free and open to all age-eligible children.
What options do I have for my child since they are not eligible for Kindergarten?
- Register for our Transitional Kindergarten program offered at selected sites throughout the district.
- Stay or enroll in a private or public preschool.
- Spend another year in the home environment.
What if my child doesn't meet the cut off this year?
- Students who will not turn 4 by September 1, 2022, may be eligible for several SCUSD preschool programs. For more information, click below.
*Low or no-cost options are available