All high school students/families interested in remaining in distance learning will be enrolled at Wilson High School. Wilson High School is the district’s independent study school and is located on the Educational Options Campus at 1840 Benton Street in Santa Clara. Wilson High School does not offer an athletic program.
Students enrolling through this independent study registration will remain virtual and enrolled at Wilson High School until a parent-educator conference is held to determine placement within 5 days of parent request to return.
Wilson High School will assign students to designated teachers that are the primary educators. Standards aligned curriculum will be taught through an online learning platform (Edmentum) which is flexible for teachers to personalize for each student.
Primarily, the 9-12 grade curriculum is through Edmentum’s Courseware curriculum. If any physical materials are necessary, pick-up dates and times will be communicated to families to collect the items.
Enrollment at Wilson High School
Wilson completes intake appointments with a school counselor, families, and students prior to school beginning. This allows our staff to appropriately match students with a teacher and begin the course selection process. Families and students need to be available for this appointment on either Monday, August 2, or Tuesday, August 3, 2021. You will be contacted in July with your appointment time slot.
- Intake appointments will begin August 2, 2021. This meeting can occur virtually or in person depending on family preference, however, the High School Independent Study Master Agreement (sample) must be signed before the first day of school.
- Participation in the program is ideally a year-long commitment, however transfers back to in-person instruction will be allowed once a parent-educator conference is held to determine placement within 5 days of parent request to return.
- Students with Individualized Education Plans (IEP) must hold an IEP meeting to meet and discuss the option of independent study and ensure a least restrictive environment. A change to an independent study/distance learning placement must be written into the IEP before the student can be enrolled.
- As the parent/guardian, you acknowledge that the independent study program is a good fit for your child. We strongly believe that students with the following qualities will have greater success in the program:
- Highly motivated
- Works independently
- Desires to develop new skills
- Manages time wisely
- Ability to communicate
- Ability to self-advocate
- If a student reaches the threshold of incomplete assignments, attendance, or engagement as listed in the Independent Study Master Agreement, a meeting will be scheduled between the teacher, school administrator, and parent/guardian to evaluate whether the student may continue in the independent study program.
Pamela Galano, email@example.com, (408) 423-3601