The Santa Clara Unified Independent Study program is located on the district’s Educational Options Campus at 1840 Benton Street in Santa Clara.
Students enrolling through this independent study registration will remain virtual until a parent-educator conference is held to determine placement.
The Santa Clara Unified TK-8 Independent Study program will assign students to designated teachers that are the primary educators and daily support from an adult at home is a necessity. The adult serves as a “support provider” to the student by helping to facilitate their engagement, assignment completion, and technical support. Standards aligned curriculum will be taught through an online learning platform (Edmentum) which is flexible for teachers to personalize for each student. Instruction is delivered through engaging synchronous lessons along with independent student work through the Edmentum courseware.
- The K-5 grade curriculum includes project-based learning through Edmentum’s Calvert Learning platform.
- The TK program will use Google Classroom to provide curriculum and instructional materials.
- The 6-8 grade curriculum is through Edmentum’s Courseware curriculum. If any physical materials are necessary, pick-up dates and times will be communicated to families to collect the items.
In addition to learning core academic content, the TK-8 Independent Study students may participate in activities to promote socialization and experiential learning, such as field trips and program activities for those students with family consent to participate. There will also be opportunities for virtual field trips, virtual social gatherings, and other virtual events throughout the school year.
- Intake appointments will begin in late July. This meeting can occur virtually or in person depending on family preference, however, the TK-8 Independent Study Master Agreement (sample) must be signed before the first day of school.
- Participation in the program is ideally a year-long commitment, however, transfers back to in-person instruction will be allowed once a parent-educator conference is held to determine placement within 5 days of parent request to return.
- Students with Individualized Education Plans (IEP) must hold an IEP meeting to meet and discuss the option of independent study and ensure a least restrictive environment. A change to an independent study/distance learning placement must be written into the IEP before the student can be enrolled.
- As the parent/guardian, you acknowledge that the independent study program is a good fit for your child. We strongly believe that students with the following qualities will have greater success in the program:
- Highly motivated
- Works independently
- Desires to develop new skills
- Manages time wisely
- Ability to communicate
- Ability to self-advocate
- If a student reaches the threshold of incomplete assignments, attendance, or engagement as listed in the Independent Study Master Agreement, a meeting will be scheduled between the teacher, administrator or admin designee, and parent/guardian to evaluate whether the student may continue in the independent study program.
Pamela Galano, email@example.com, (408) 423-3601