What is a Learning Center?
SCUSD Learning Centers are run by our Family-Child Education (FCE) department and provide a safe and supervised environment for students to participate in distance learning.
At the Learning Center, students will be provided:
- A dedicated learning space to participate in their distance learning instruction
- Materials to assist in completion of assignments
- Students must bring their own laptop, Chromebook, or device and power cord
- FCE staff who will assist with logging in to class meetings and remaining on task with frequent check-ins
- Internet access
- Students will comprise a cohort (consistent attendance)
- Outdoor recreational activities
- Small group enrichment activities
- Materials to engage in individual activities, such as arts and crafts, science, math, reading and writing, and space for privacy or quiet time
- Prepackaged morning snack, lunch, and prepackaged afternoon snack
- The staff will encourage children to do their homework, but are not responsible for the completion and review of each child’s work. A staff person will be available to answer questions during the provided homework period, however, extensive tutoring cannot be provided.
- Per county mandate, children may not leave any personal belongings in the classroom overnight. Items must be taken home to be cleaned daily.
Who do FCE Learning Centers serve?
- SCUSD students in grades TK-5
- SCUSD employees’ children in grades TK-5
Who will support Students at the FCE Learning Center?
- Family-Child Education (FCE) department teachers and staff
- One to two FCE teachers per 12 students with support staff as needed
- Stable group of dedicated staff per site
- Staff have a range of educational backgrounds experiences including masters degrees, bachelor degrees, associate degrees, child development units and many staff hold child development permits from the California Commision for Teacher Credentialing.
- All staff have experience teaching or working with children ages 4-12 years old
- Children are responsible to log into their google classroom using their student credentials. Learning Center staff are available to support children by providing a safe space for instruction. Learning Center staff do not provide instruction, academic support or individualized support services as these are the responsibility of the distance learning staff.
What are the Learning Center hours?
- School Day: 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Extended Day: 3:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
What are the tuition rates?
- School Day: 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m., no cost
- Extended Day: 3:30 - 5:30 p.m., $360 monthly fee
For more information, please contact: