Dual Language Immersion Program
In the fall of 2020, the district will launch our first Spanish Dual Language Immersion (DLI) program at Scott Lane Elementary School, a different and more enriching model of educating students in two languages, to give students districtwide an opportunity to become bilingual and biliterate, starting in elementary school. This program is open to all district students.
What is DLI?
Dual language immersion programs include native English-speaking students and native speakers of a foreign language. The goals of dual language immersion programs are to develop bilingualism/biliteracy, academic achievement, and cross-cultural competencies for all students.
The program will start with two Kindergarten and one 1st grade class in the 2020-2021 school year as a program strand within the school, gradually replacing the school's Transitional Bilingual program. In the 2021-2022 school year, the DLI classes will expand to 2nd grade. Registration for this program will follow the district's standard Open Enrollment process. While the program will be housed at Scott Lane, the school will maintain its current attendance boundaries as a neighborhood school for the regular English program in grades K-5.
How Does it Work?
In a dual language immersion program, students are expected to meet the same state standards as all other students in the district. Students may only begin the Dual Language Immersion program in kindergarten and 1st grade and commit to remaining in the program through 5th grade. The Spanish program follows a 90:10 program model which refers to the language of instruction. In kindergarten, 90% of the instruction is in Spanish and 10% is in English. As the student gradually moves up in grades, the language of instruction will gradually increase in English until the program reaches a 50:50 ratio.
What are the Benefits?
- According to studies, students in Dual Language Immersion programs achieve high levels of academics in both languages.
- Students in dual immersion programs were found to have high levels of self-esteem, high academic competence, and motivation.
- Dual immersion students are better prepared for the global job market where a second language gives them a competitive edge!
- Bilingualism - Develop high levels of proficiency in Spanish and English
- Biliteracy - Perform at or above grade level in all academic areas in Spanish and English
- Multiculturalism - Appreciate all cultures and strengthen relationships throughout our local and global community
- Empowerment - Cultivate pride in one’s heritage and resiliency to become a critical thinker in multiple languages
The DLI program at Scott Lane Elementary is open to entering kindergarten and first grade families. Program participants and their families are expected to make a minimum commitment of six years (kindergarten through 5th grade) to fully benefit from the two-way bilingual immersion model.
⅓ Dominant-Spanish Speaking - these students will be screened in Spanish upon registration
⅓ Dominant-English Speaking - these students will be screened in English upon registration
⅓ Bilingual - these students will be screened both in English and Spanish upon registration
A language screening assessment will be used for determining language dominance.
To apply for the DLI program, please follow the standard Open Enrollment procedures on our Open Enrollment webpage selecting Scott Lane as your school of choice.
For more information about the program, call the Supplemental and English Learner Programs office at (408) 423-2140.