This webpage contains information for applicants for the position of superintendent of Santa Clara Unified School District, a dynamic professional opportunity.
The Santa Clara Unified School District Board of Trustees invites highly qualified educational leaders to apply for the position of superintendent.
Santa Clara Unified School District seeks a superintendent who:
- Has dynamic leadership
- Has experience and intellectual capacity
- Understands appropriate roles
- Believes students are first
- Can build on financial assets
- Understands basic aid
- Has a clear vision with experience implementing the vision
- Includes everyone in the community
- Is a proactive problem solver
- Understands K-12 districts
- Is an educational leader
- Understands equity inside and out
- Is committed to the job and the district
- Understands this is a complex district
- Has visionary leadership
- Can hold high expectations for all
- Is willing to listen to new ideas
- Is a consensus builder
- Can build partnerships that leverage partnerships
The Santa Clara Unified School District seeks a superintendent who:
- Is honest
- Is approachable and committed to the district
- Is collaborative and inclusive
- Is creative and innovative
- Is receptive to others’ ideas
- Is passionate and compassionate
- Has Integrity
- Has strength of character
- Is trustworthy
- Is transparent
- Is passionate about diversity
- Is customer oriented and focused
- Is a good listener
- Is a visible leader
- Has excellent communication skills
Desired Education and Experience
- Masters degree or higher with a record of continuous learning (doctorate preferable)
- An educator with K-12 experience in California
- A strong fiscal background and understanding of a Basic Aid budget
- A record of focusing on students and improving achievement in a diverse community
- Experience as a teacher, principal and experience as a central office administrator
- A doctorate degree is preferable
- Bilingual candidates are invited to apply
The Board of Trustees has retained consultants Drs. Eric Andrew and Fred Van Leuven of Leadership Associates to recruit qualified candidates. The consultants will screen applications and recommend candidates to the board for interviews and further consideration. Any contact with board members, in an attempt to influence the selection process, will be considered a breach of professional ethics. Finalists will have an opportunity to familiarize themselves with the community and schools. Board members reserve the right to visit the district and communities of a candidate prior to a final decision.
Salary and Contract
The salary will be competitive and based upon qualifications and experience. A multi-year contract will be considered.
To be considered, the candidate must provide:
- A fully completed application form
- A letter of application
- A resume
- Three professional references
- Verification of degrees and credentials (finalists only)
All materials will be acknowledged and treated confidentially.
The mission of Santa Clara Unified School District is "to prepare students of all ages and abilities to succeed in an ever-changing world". Santa Clara Unified School District serves over 15,500 K-12 students, and an additional 6,000 students in Preschool through Adult School. Neighborhoods in the Cities of Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, San Jose, and Cupertino comprise the District's 56 square-mile area. The District has 27 sites: 17 elementary schools, 1 K-8 school, 3 middle schools, 2 comprehensive high schools, 1 Community Day School, and 3 alternative high schools including an independent study, continuation and early college high school. Support programs for at-risk students also include an alternative placement center, a program for pregnant and parenting teens and programs for 5th and 6th year seniors. Santa Clara Unified prides itself on having teachers, classified employees and administrators who are dedicated, experienced professionals who care about each student's well-being and academic preparation. Music and choral classes, art, foreign language, dramatic arts, a variety of career technical education classes and competitive athletics are some of the many programs which enrich our students' education.
Santa Clara Unified School District is located in the County of Santa Clara. The City of Santa Clara, incorporated in 1852, is located 45 miles south of San Francisco and 382 miles north of Los Angeles. Situated in Santa Clara County and at the center of Silicon Valley. Besides having outstanding industrial parks (most within a few miles of the Civic Center and adjacent to freeways), Santa Clara is in the forefront of the national movement to protect the environment from industrial and other types of pollution. Electronic, aerospace, research and many types of light manufacturing firms will find Santa Clara ideal for employees and their families.
The Board of Trustees
Michele Ryan, Ph.D., Board President
Jodi Muirhead, Board Vice President
Mark Richardson, Board Clerk
Jim Canova, Member
Albert Gonzalez, Member
Vickie Fairchild, Member
Andrew Ratermann, Member
Santa Clara Unified School District is an equal opportunity employer.
To request application materials for the Santa Clara Unified School District superintendent position, send an email to:
Becky Banning, Executive Assistant
Eric Andrew, Ed.D.
Fred Van Leuven, Ed.D.
3905 State Street, #7-407
Santa Barbara, CA 93105
Applications must be completed and returned via email by 5 p.m. on March 27, 2019.